DEADLINE EXTENDED TO FEBRUARY 20, 2011
Applications (WORD) (/funding/documents/prediss_app.doc) are being solicited for the 2011 Predissertation Travel Awards of up to $5000. ISP contributes 80% of the award and the college contributes 20% of the funds. These awards are designed to provide funds for MSU Ph.D. candidates in the predissertation stage in the Colleges of Agriculture and Natural Resources (CANR), Arts and Letters (CAL), Education (ED) and Social Science (SSC) for travel outside of the United States during one or more of these semesters: summer 2011, fall 2011 and spring 2012.
These awards support travel abroad to your intended dissertation research site for a minimum stay of 60* full days in order to immerse yourself in the international research site; investigate the appropriateness of the research problem and methods; identify university, research institute, or NGO partners with which you will affiliate; identify collaborators or mentors in the country; increase your language proficiency; and obtain letters of affiliation or sponsorship from local institutions. The program seeks to assist MSU graduate students to develop competitive dissertation proposals in national fellowship competitions of the Fulbright, NSF, SSRC, and similar programs.
Who is Eligible
U.S. and international Ph.D. candidates in CANR, CAL, ED, and SSC, who are planning dissertation research in a country outside of the United States, and who are at the predissertation research stage. International students may apply for an award in their home country if they can justify why it is needed.
Up to $5,000 for reimbursing costs of international and local travel including required visas, immunizations and medical evacuation insurance; lodging and meals per diem in the international country; and associated costs in the country (e.g., duplicating, taxis, affiliation fees, etc.). Recipients may be eligible for a travel advance prior to purchasing airline tickets and traveling to the research site. The award may be used in conjunction with other funding (e.g., Foreign Language and Area Studies Fellowships), but may be adjusted accordingly.
- Plan a minimum foreign stay of 60* full days in the target research country(ies)
- Design specific activities to accomplish during the predissertation research travel
- Complete the Application Form for the MSU Predissertation Travel Fellowship-2011 Cycle
- Submit an official MSU transcript
- Submit your curriculum vitae
- Include a statement from your academic department or major professor that you are a doctoral student in good standing relative to grades and progress
- Have a letter of reference and support for the travel from your academic advisor and/or research advisor.
- Demonstrate plans to submit proposal(s) to national or international competitions before, during, or after the predissertation experience
- Complete and submit a report on the experience within 30 days of return to MSU
Submit all documents to Kathy Riel, Office of the Dean of International Studies and Programs, 207 International Center by
5:00 pm on January 28, 2011 (DEADLINE EXTENDED TO FEBRUARY 20, 2011) for travel in summer or fall 2011 or spring 2012. Awards will be announced no later than March 25, 2011.
Contact Patricia Lambert firstname.lastname@example.org, 355-2350)
*The student may request a waiver of the 60 days and provide a rational for the exception. The committee will consider these requests on an individual basis. Stays of less than 42 days will not be approved.