International Student and Scholar Services
Each year, nearly 6,000 students and scholars from 130 countries join the Michigan State University community. For students seeking academic programs, scholars seeking higher education, and visitors seeking non-degree options, MSU offers a variety of programs to pursue any educational goals.
- Apply to MSU (http://www.admissions.msu.edu/admission/international.asp) - international students interested in pursuing a bachelors or graduate degree should apply for admission through MSU's Office of Admissions.
- The American Semester Program (http://americansemester.isp.msu.edu) is for students who are currently enrolled in an undergraduate degree at an institution outside of the United States of America. The program gives studentsat MSU's partner institutions the opportunity to study in America and transfer the credits back to their home degree.
- The MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program at MSU (http://mcfscholars.isp.msu.edu) provides talented yet financially disadvantaged young people from Sub-Saharan Africa with access to quality and relevant university education.
- Office for International Students and Scholars provides programming and services to international students and scholars who have been admitted to an MSU academic program.
- Visiting International Professional Program. provides programming for visiting students and scholars seeking non-degree education and experiences.
We highly value the diverse perspective that our international students, scholars, and visitors bring to our campus. We believe that it is essential for our students to learn within the international and multicultural society in which we must all work and live.
OISS staff meet with international students and scholars and their families about immigration, employment, housing, health care, financial concerns, academic problems, travel and other personal issues. The office offers orientations and other special programming that help international students and scholars integrate into and adjust to the academic, cultural and social life of MSU. Featured programs include Friday evening coffee hours, an international student essay competition, a welcome reception hosted by MSU President Lou Anna K. Simon and a campus-wide global celebration. Additionally, OISS serves as MSU's liaison to foreign embassies, sponsoring agencies and educational foundations that support international students.
MSU's Visiting International Professional Program (VIPP) offers innovative global education for professional; a goal for professional men and women who understand that in order to maintain a competitive edge in a competitive world, one must accept the challenge of worldwide demands for new knowledge. Visiting professionals and students are currently engaged in specialized lectures, academic classes and seminars as well as professional field trips, site visits and independent research as part of VIPP programs that utilize a vast array of resources to meet the goals of VIPP: professional development, cultural enhancement, information technology and global awareness. Featured programs include American culture nights once a month and special welcome and graduation receptions for each new group.
MSU Grants & Scholarships
- Undergraduate Scholarships (/../funding/ungrad_scholarships.htm)
- Graduate Student Scholarships (/../funding/grad_scholarships.htm)
- Other Grants, Scholarships, and Awards (http://www.oiss.msu.edu/students_financial.php)
- Short-term Loan (STL) (http://finaid.msu.edu/msuloans.asp)
Office of Financial Aid provides short term loans for international students. Please contact an OISS advisor (http://oiss.msu.edu) to obtain a recommendation form.